We are seeking a Senior Tax Analyst, to join our corporate tax team in Marshall, MN. This position, under minimal supervision, is responsible for performing complex functions and leading projects relating to tax reporting for financial statements, internal and external audits, and all other tax reporting purposes. You will further monitor and forecast the implication of tax laws changes that relate to the company, and assists in the strategic implementation of the system changes necessary to accurately reflect the financial and tax filing requirements. The focus of the work will be on federal, state and local income taxes, but there will be opportunity to work in property and other types of tax as well. We have a sophisticated tax team with up to date software and tools, where you will get challenging project work and the ability to continue to learn and develop. You get great work life balance and the perks of a small town, but also the benefits of a high caliber tax team equal to large metro companies!
- Administers the compliance and financial work plan and task assignments for various areas within the department. Proactively identifies risks and documents alternative solutions to mitigate the risks for the company. Seeks to fully understand the corporate legal structure and how this structure and business activity is used to determine the filing requirement in various taxing jurisdictions.
- Assists in the training of Finance staff regarding financial tax reporting and FASB/GAAP/IFRS requirements for tax. Reviews and verifies the monthly/quarterly financial reports for all tax accounts consolidated basis. Reviews supporting schedules to be supplied to the independent auditors related to these accounts.
- Demonstrates expertise with specialized tax software and trains departmental personnel on its use and how to customize the calculations to meet the company’s needs. Identifies opportunities to minimize manual processing of data between systems. Responsible for the conversion & annual maintenance, calculation file maintenance, etc.
- Recommends and implements improvements in existing systems
- Assists tax manager in the coordination of state and local audits from beginning to completion with the use of proper delegation and project management skills. Recommends audit resolutions based on projected risk exposure. Assists in the documentation and compilation of Uncertain Tax Matters reporting. Applies the knowledge gained from audits to implement systems and process changes that are need to minimize future risk to the company and accommodate future audits and filings.
- Reviews low to mid level risk correspondence. Issues and prepares response for complex to advanced level issues on a timely basis. Coordinates these issues for financial reporting where applicable and systems and process changes where applicable.
- Reviews and signs off on the work of more junior tax staff for accuracy and completeness.
- Trains, reviews and validates the work performed by the junior tax staff on mid to high level risk work. Mentors and leads team members as necessary.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field of study
Years of Related Experience: 5+ years tax/accounting experience with previous project management experience
Strong knowledge of industry practices as they relate to Federal and State tax laws as well at financial reporting requirements;
Solid understanding of the interaction between source data in the various IT systems and the tax software;
Solid understanding of the companies systems and how law or audit changes impact the current system;
Ability to acquire working knowledge of tax laws and how they apply for both financial reporting purposes and external filing requirements;
Advanced proficiency in the generation of data from electronic general ledger systems that enables interpretation and application of organization policies;
Advanced PC skills including Excel, SAP (preferred), Specialized Tax Software, etc;
Strong project management, problem-solving and analytical skills;
Ability to mentor and evaluate more junior level staff with strong leadership skills, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.