We are seeking a Tax Analyst to join our corporate tax team in Marshall, MN. This position is responsible for performing moderately complex functions relating to the tax life cycle including financial reporting, external and government audits, correspondence with government authorities, tax returns, incentive applications, property tax accruals, abatements, and preparation and filing of the federal, state, and local income tax.
- Analyzes, reviews, interprets and validates the data supplied by the Business Unit and/or Financial Systems for the tax relevant financial, internal and external reporting requirements. Drafts and is responsible for the timely completions of tasks assigned related to the financial reporting, audits and tax filings and related payments.
- Creates the monthly/quarterly financial reports for all tax accounts. Prepares or reviews supporting schedules to be supplied to the independent auditors related to these accounts.
- Assists in the training of Business Unit and Corporate Financial personnel in financial reporting and FASB/GAAP/IFRS requirements for tax. Demonstrates an understanding of the difference between management, legal entity and tax reporting.
- Identifies issues with tax software programs utilized by the tax group and works with the vendors software support to resolve issues. Recommends improvements in existing systems.
- Researches various moderately complex tax issues as they arise. Documents their interpretation of these findings of the issue, facts and interpretation of the law as they apply to the company for review by senior tax personnel. Assists in the coordination of the implementation of value added tax work.
- Assists in the training of lower lever tax staff on the simple to moderate tax processes, filings, reporting and issues. Provides an initial review of these tasks.
- Achieves an understanding of the corporate legal structure and how this structure, along with the business activities, has a bearing on the filing requirements in various taxing jurisdictions and their impact on financial reporting.
- Responsible to conduct yourself and ensure your subordinates (if applicable) conduct themselves in a manner consistent with company mission, values, code of ethics, policies, and other standards of conduct.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field of study
Years of Related Experience: 3-5 years
- Working knowledge of general accepted accounting principles or IFRS;
- Solid understanding of the interaction between source data in the various IT systems and the tax software;
- Ability to acquire working knowledge of income tax laws that enable some evaluation and originality to be displayed on standard and non-critical matters;
- Intermediate proficiency with numeric data analysis;
- Basic proficiency in the generation of data from electronic general ledger systems;
- Intermediate PC skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Specialized Tax software, etc,
- Solid communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Solid problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Ability to adapt to change and is comfortable with interpreting laws;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines