As the Carrier Relations Manager within our corporate logistics team you will be responsible for supporting Distribution Services and Schwan Logistics by negotiating competitively priced transportation services consistent with Schwan's standards for quality and service.
- Negotiating rates and service for transportation of outbound finished goods, inbound finished goods, raw materials, ingredients and supplies.
- Develops innovative cost savings programs, maintains carrier service records, and works with carriers to improve service levels. Objectives are obtained through the development and implementation of innovative transportation programs for all Schwan's divisions.
- Knowledge of the operating practices, procedures, and policies of all Schwan's divisions (including third party warehouses and co-packers).
- Understanding of the price components and industry standards for all modes of transportation (motor, rail, intermodal, and internal private fleet) and knowledge of federal and state transportation regulations and laws.
- Negotiates rates and service requirements with senior management of for- hire carriers to ensure the availability of transportation resources at Schwan's locations and outside warehouses. Ensures rates negotiated and agreed upon are included in Shipper/Carrier contract.
- Selects mode of transportation and specific carriers. Designates traffic lanes and rates for carriers based on service requirements, equipment availability, service capabilities, plant and/or distribution center requirements, and price. Manages lane rate information for the Manugistics Transportation Management system to ensure Coordinator and Freight Payment System accurate rate/pricing information.
- Evaluates carrier performance against expectations and reacts accordingly utilizing tools including Carrier Performance Index; On-time performance; technology standards; customer service; insurance minimum requirements; claims management and invoice accuracy.
- Maintains carrier service level records and promotes the improvement of those services.
- Provides expertise and rate information to Purchasing Logistics and other departments to arrive at the lowest landed cost for sourcing and manufacturing decisions.
- Creates innovative transportation programs to support the objectives of Schwan's divisional requirements as well as Sales, Logistics, and Marketing. Develops and promotes concepts and programs for an overall reduction of expenses.
- Identifies and seeks areas of opportunity within Schwan's transportation network to remove costs from the system. (round trip opportunities, dedicated programs, private fleet opportunities, change in mode.)
- Manages trains and develops subordinates.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Years of Related Experience: 5 - 7 years related experience.
·Intermediate proficiency in the operation of a personal computer in a Windows environment to include the Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook.
·Intermediate proficiency with numeric data analysis.
·The ability to become and remain organized.
·The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining the ability to re-direct efforts based upon shifting demands.
·The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
·The ability to maintain confidentiality.